Friday, April 19, 2013

I took a ferry across the Irish Sea and it wasn't until we reached land that I saw some Wales.

We woke early this morning to catch our ferry.  This means an early wake up call and a quick ride to the docks.   At the port, we said good bye to our driver Danny.  We had a blast with him and it was sad to see him go.

The ferry was really nice.  We were able to relax for a couple hours and some of us even took a nap.






We've had a pretty exhausting day the night before and this was a much needed respite from the realities we've been facing.  Not all of use slept, however, some of us made new friends in the form of a rugby team from north of Dublin that was made up of 13-14 year olds. These young men were very friendly and not afraid to walk right up to out kids to introduce themselves to us.  I even heard them call Evan "legendary."  I had a really nice moment when one of them asked if my friends and family were safe and he wished them all well.

When we landed in Wales, we met our new driver Delboy.  He quickly put our luggage into the bus and we began our journey into Northern Wales.  I didn't know at the time, but my life was about to change in a way that I could only dream about...I was about to visit a place that I thought only existed in fiction:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

This Welch city contains the longest city name on record with the folks at Guinness.  I've seen signs and websites, but I had no idea that I was actually going to go there.


There was a neat little shop there and the kids were able to stamp their own passports with the stamp of the city.  I commemorated the event by ordering my first plate of fish and chips...ever.  I am not a seafood eater, but I felt it necessary to try it.  The women who served it to me was the most gracious person I've ever met...she said, "Thank you," after every sentence.  The meal wasn't as good as I hoped, but I ate it anyways.

Our next stop was the Beaumaris Castle.  It was great.  The kids loved it.  They had full reign of the place and were able to explore the castle from top to bottom.  I heard more than one student say it was the highlight of their trip and one even put it in the same group as visiting the Eiffel Tower.  It was wonderful to see them running around and loving the day.  We needed it.




This castle is nestled along the entry point of Snowdownia National park.  The national park had some really great photo-ops.




After a nearly three hour drive, we made our way into Llongallen and the Hand Hotel.  This is a wonderful little town.  Our hotel was supposed to be haunted...and perhaps it is, but in all honesty the spirits weren't of the supernatural kind.  After dinner, our kids climbed a really large hill/mountain.  I tried to keep up with them, but it was a little too much for my aging knees.  The kids held a moment of silence for the loss of Nan and for the people back home.  When we returned, the dining hall was filled with a traveling troupe of Welch singers.  They inquired as to who we were and why were in Wales.  This group of elderly entertainers, upon finding out we were from Boston, began to dedicate a series of songs to our kids and our town.  I am working on getting some video together of this moment, but I can tell you that there was hardly a dry eye in the house.  It was a trans-formative movement for all involved.


Hoping for an early night...It's just past midnight and I am in a haunted hotel.





Mr. Lavoie, currently spending the night in a room with the spirit of a young boy who died of Tuberculous.



No comments:

Post a Comment