Friday, April 26, 2013

Thank You...two little words that have tremendous meaning.

This world is a very strange place.  At one point, all can seem well and then things radically fall apart.  We experienced a little bit of that while we were overseas.  The world seemed normal for us until word from the Marathon reached Killarney.  In the chaos being reported vie the news, and on twitter, uncertainty set it.  It wasn't until a few hours later that we started to hear about all of the people who rushed to those in need.  Good people putting their safety aside to help others.

We felt a little bit of that while in Wales.  The choir that dedicated their performance to us impacted many of us in ways we cannot communicate.  Being atop that mountain may have given you a different perspective.  Not of a world of chaos or disorder, but one of beauty.  We have to remember that the good in all of us outweighs the bad.  It is not even close.  The little things we do can have have a tremendous impact on others...even if they are total strangers.

When I checked my email on Wednesday, I was surprised to see a message from a newspaper reporter.  He had some questions for me about a package of "Thank You" notes that I had sent to Saugus High School in California.  He wanted to know who sent them, what else was in the care package, and what our motivation for sending the letters may have been.  I had nearly forgotten that at one of our trip meetings, I had asked you guys to write letters to the teachers, staff, and administrators of our sister school in California.  It's funny because I kept looking over at you all as you wrote your notes wondering if you were taking it seriously.  Your little words of caring, your jokes, and your gratitude were felt by those on the west coast.

There was, however, one problem.  This reporter was not from California.  He was from Spartanburg, South Carolina.  It seems that our care package, and your "Thank You" notes inspired the students of Saugus High School in California to pay it forward.  They chose Broome High School because their two schools shared the Centurions as a mascot.  Today, in Spartanburg, the newspaper is running a story about you...and the little bit of good you helped bring to those in California and how they spread that good to others...and how it will be spread to at least one other school.

I am always impressed with how kids respond to the chance to be good.  I thank you for your behavior on our trip.  I thank you for the respect you showed myself, the other chaperons, and Chris.  I thank you for taking in the wonders of another part of the world and for being engaged.  When I found out that someone had stolen money out of my suitcase, I was naturally upset, but I wasn't worried.  I knew that the worst that would come of it would be that I'd spend a little more money that I had expected too.  I, furthermore, knew that others would respond.  At Logan, many people shared their concern and offered to help...someone even gave me some money to send to Chris that night.  EF Tours has told me not to worry about it.  They are sending Chris the money he would have been paid and reimbursing me for the money I spent trying to help Chris out.  Good people respond to bad things with goodness.

Today, I spoke with Bill Bolde, the principal of Saugus High School in California.  He explained that your letters had a huge impact on his school.  He is thinking of making our message of thanks part of his graduation ceremonies...and he even invited me out for the celebration.

It's funny.  I only found out that he received our package on Wednesday because of a reporter from South Carolina, but on Thursday, I received a package from California.  It contained knicknacks, hats, shirts, and stickers from the Centurions.  Mr. Bolde explained to me that our stuff is on display at their school, when you walk in their main office area.  He told me their chief rival is a school from the other side of town.  Their mascot is the Indian.  Their colors are Red, White, and Black.  He didn't care that our Sachem Head and our color scheme might be confusing to some because the message of unity between our schools is more important than crosstown rivalries.  (I didn't have the heart to tell him that their colors are basically the same as the Peabody Tanners)

Shakespeare once alluded to the fact that we harp on the negative things in life when he wrote the famous monologue in Julius Caesar.  With all that we've experienced this past week, I thought this little story might be a nice way to wrap up things for our trip.  I've included some links below for those who'd like to read on.

Mr. Lavoie, currently in A09 with a box full of Blue and White Saugus things...come on by and take a peek.

Saugus High School's Parent and Community Newsletter (California)
http://www.hartdistrict.org/saugus/legend.pdf


Spartanburg Newspaper Article: http://www.goupstate.com/article/20130425/ARTICLES/304251027/1083/ARTICLES?p=1&tc=pg 

WSPA - Spartanburg TV Channel - with video
http://www.wspa.com/story/22091630/broome-hs-plans-to-pass-along-kindness




No comments:

Post a Comment