Sunday, April 21, 2024

Day 8: Au Revoir France and Hallo Belgie

 

The Louvre was Splendid

Today was our last morning in France. It is always bittersweet for me to leave this country. It was the first location that I traveled to when I was in high school myself. I find myself remembering things from all of my different trips when I walk the streets. 

Before I go to far into today, I did want to post a little bit more about last night at Montparnasse. I think I mintioned that the tower overlooks the city and we were up at sunset. I had recorded a video of the lights turning on and have shared that to TikTok. I had forgotten to take any pictures though! 

The lights of the Eiffel Tower!

This morning, we woke and I decided to skip breakfast. I had set up a wake up call for the students and at 7:45 it went off...tonight, I set one up for 7:30 tomorrow morning! We are only at this hotel for one night before continuing to Amsterdam, but again, I don't want to get ahead of myself. The kids had breakfast, loaded the bus, and checked passports. Off the Louvre we went!

Our group gathering to enter the museum. 

There are so many pieces at the Louvre that it would be impossible for us to see them all. Generally, there are three major pieces that guests seek out. 

The Winged Statue of Victory

The Mona Lisa

The Venus De Milo


It is hard to know if all of our students saw all of these pieces, but I know as I walked around that many saw them all. I always love going to a place like this with students. You often see the unexpected. I was so pleased to see two of our students, whom I don't expect are huge fans of museums, stopping at different pieces and reading the descriptions and taking photos. I didn't take too many photos of the kids because of a few reasons. One, I do let them enjoy the experience on a personal level. Two, they broke off into groups and disappeared eagerly looking for the next masterpiece. 

This is the crowd taking photos of the Mona Lisa.

A lesson in perspective. Rachel is standing about 25 feet away from the Mona Lisa. It is a small piece.

This is the large painting directly across from the Mona Lisa...now we know why she is smiling!

Another angle of the Mona Lisa crowd. Some of our kids are in there!

A scale model of the Louvre

I took a photo of one painting for myself. It was called Pandemonium. I don't know why it spoke to me today, but it did. It is a dark and foreboding piece, but that doesn't reflect my current mood, this trip, or generally anything in particular....I think I just liked it. 


Pandemonium by John Martin

After our time at the Louvre concluded, we began to walk to the Latin Quarter for lunch and last minute shopping. Along the way, I broke from the group for a few quick minutes to make a special stop for myself at a small island in the Seine. When I was a kid, I was in a youth group called DeMolay. It was named in honor of Jacques DeMolay who was executed on the island by the French government in the 1300s. The youth group teaches leadership skills, fidelity, and it has a strong connection to history.

When I was young, and first in Paris, my brother and I ventured out and found a monument to DeMolay on this island. It was a cool moment in my life and I repeat those steps whenever I am in the city. Today's walk was fortunate for me. I always enjoy getting a look at it. 


I actually arrived to the meeting place before our group after my excursion. It is the benefit of knowing the city and walking without 25 others. Many of the kids were very surprised to see me waiting for them in front of the Shakespeare & Co. book store! We did a quick orientation and I pointed a few kids off to the ATM and Exchange booth. I then had my lunch.

My lunch from the Maison de Gyro

Notre Dame under construction. They expect to open in December

A quick rain storm rolled over us, but I think everyone was actually eating and no one complained about getting wet. We met back together and walked to the bus for our long ride to Belgium. It took over three hours and we had to stop for 45 minutes for Joris' and the European bus regulations. It was a nice rest stop and everyone was able to stretch legs, buy snacks, and wake up for a moment!

Finally, we arrived to Belgium and Brussels. Maria took us to the restaurant for dinner. 




My dinner ended up being very similar to my lunch. I did not complain!

A funny bathroom sign

Katie and Maria twinning




After a vey brief walking tour, Maria showed us the most iconic image of the city. It is a special place for my family too. The Manneken Pis statue is one of my Mom's favorite art pieces. A replica is part of her summer decorations and at different times, my entire family has visited. It is a way, while we are apart, to remind each other that we are always together. I was able to share this place and story with our group. 




 

Tomorrow, we will head back into the city. We will make some sweet treats and taste Belgian Waffles and Fries. We are only here for a very brief time, but I hope we will make the most of it. 

It is hard to imagine that school starts tomorrow and our trip ends as soon as it does. England seems like yesterday and years ago, lol. It appears to me that the kids are having the time of their lives. They've been great too. Knocking on wood while I type this, but they've been so easy to work with. Yes, we struggle with timeliness in the morning, but they are so go with the flow! Two of our finnicky eaters have been trying new foods and admitting to enjoying them as well. It has been a pleasure for sure!

Mr. Lavoie, sitting in the lobby at another Ibis hotel as the lights are being turned off and the front desk folks are preparing to go into night mode! 

 

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures, especially the Mannikin Pis!

    ReplyDelete