Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day Three: Excuse me sir, you must be in the front row...

It's about 12:45 in the morning and we are just wrapping up an incredible day in DC and Baltimore.

In spite of the weather forecasts, we have survived another day in our Nation's capital and while the rain may have dampened our raincoats it could not dampen our spirits.  Honestly, the weather wasn't too bad...we avoided most of the rain.

We had our usual breakfast at Magills and took off for the city.  I did hear one of the boys telling how much he enjoyed the Biscuits and Gravy...he said he had three servings.  Ms. Payne and I warned him that it was that tasty. We headed into the city for a group photo at the Capital Building.  Unfortunately, we encountered our first deluge...yes, first.  Here are some photos:









The decision was made to scrap the photo and try to take in some monuments.  As we were driving to the Lincoln Memorial, the weather took a turn for the better and we headed back to the Capital building for another attempt.  I'm not sure how it works, but we made it and I think it will be quite a group photo.

After our group picture was taken, we headed back towards the Lincoln Memorial.  We visited three memorials during this stop.  Obviously, we saw Lincoln sitting above the reflecting pool, but we also saw the Korean and Vietnam War memorials.

 The Korean War Memorial is one of my favorite DC memorials.  First, the historic significance of remembering what is known as "The Forgotten War" is incredibly important...but there is more than just that.  It is filled with symbolism.  There are 19 soldiers walking on patrol in the memorial.  Each branch of the military is represented.  There is an Air Force Communications Officers, A Navy Corpsman, and two Marines accompanying the Army soldiers.  The photo above shows the Corpsman (Medic) and Marines.  There is also a wall next to the memorial with engraved photographs of men and woman who played a role in the Korean War.  On a sunny day, the reflection of the soldiers is clearly visible.  In this view, 38 men are shown.  This signifies the Line of Demarcation on the 38th parallel separating North and South Korea.

 The Lincoln Memorial seems to be the odds on favorite of most of the kids.  All trip, they've been saying how much they wanted to see it.  With the rain coming down pretty hard earlier, we almost had to cancel it, but we did not.  I think it is great that they wanted to see it.  These students have not yet learned about the role Abraham Lincoln played in American History, but roughly 150 years after his presidency, his legacy lives on with the necessity of a classroom.  Don't worry parents, when they are at the high school next year, we will be sure to teach them about Lincoln and how he shaped America.

The vantage point from atop the Lincoln Memorial is a clear picture of the Washington Monument and the Capital building in the distance.  It is there, you might need to squint, but it is there, lol.

 These four brave young ladies posed in front of Lincoln's statue to give perspective on the size of the sculpture.  Lincoln is massive and so was his impact on ending slavery and preserving the union.  He is one of my favorite Presidents and I think the most critical in shaping America for the future.  I think it is fitting that he sits overlooking the reflective pool and is flanked by the Korean and Vietnam War Memorials.  Lincoln was a man who despised war.  He often sat and pondered the events of his lifetime.  He knew he was not perfect and he understood basic human nature...he allowed those characteristics to guide his decisions.  The Secretary of War during his presidency often scolded Lincoln for pardoning too many young men who fled the battlefield.  Lincoln didn't flinch.  He knew that these men had families and that war was ravaging their homes.  He thought about how his actions impacted others...I think we need more Lincoln's in our government today, regardless of political affiliations.


These two young ladies took a break from the emerging sun and sat beneath a quoted passage from Lincoln's second inaugural address.  They were not aware, at the time, that their choice of seating location would spawn an impromptu history lesson from myself...but they seemed to appreciate my lecture. :)


The Washington Monument is under construction because of the earthquake a couple of years ago.  This pose is a common photo-op for concerned American tourists who want to help in the construction of the monument.



Students from Bus 1 and 3 joining in some fellowship and relaxation on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.  They said they were having a great time and they truly enjoyed the Lincoln Memorial.  They had already visited the Vietnam Memorial and were about to visit the Korean War Memorial.

 As far as I know, Saugus, Massachusetts only lost two soldiers during the Vietnam War.  Their names were Richard Devine and Stanley Egan.  After a quick talk from our tour guide, I mentioned these names to our students and told them where they might find the names upon the wall.  The photo above is for Stanley Egan.  This part of our trip was one of the most poignant for me, and for all of us.  You can see some roses left at the base of the wall...along the entire wall there were many flowers, letters, and other mementos left to fallen comrades.  These touching and affectionate gestures had an impact on many as the kids read through some of the letters.  There were several Vietnam Veterans there as well and I was very impressed with the manner in which our students acted.  Not only did many of them seek out Richard Devine and Stanley Egan's memorial, but they did it with reverence.  I was very proud of them.
 
Richard Devine is remembered by fellow Saugonians.

 After our visit to these three memorials, we, on Bus #2, had to wait around a little bit for our bus driver.  I took the opportunity for some group photos.

This is them pointing at me.

This is them Disco Dancing!!!

This is them standing on one foot.

This is them realizing that they stepped on some gum...they didn't.

This is them celebrating because the bus just pulled up...it didn't

Eventually, the bus did find us.  He took us to the Mall and our guide introduced us to many of the Smithsonian Museums.  We stopped at the Air and Space Museum for lunch and were off to enjoy the many sights and sounds of flight.  I was pleased to have the opportunity to meet up with my Brother, Nephew, and Niece for lunch.  They moved to the DC area in August and I hadn't seem them nearly as much as I would have liked.

After Lunch, our buses broke into groups led by their chaperons.  The kids got to decide which museums to visit.  I was touched by the words of one student who opted for a shorter lunch break so that we'd have more time for museums.  I realized that these kids "get it."  They understand what I have understood since my first time traveling outside of the country..."One must travel to learn."  Mark Twain's words are as true today as when he first penned them.  I truly enjoyed this part of the trip.  The kids decided on the Museum of Natural History (Dinosaurs) and the Museum of American History (Cool stuff from our past).  We spent about an hour in each, but could have spent days!!!

We eventually survived our second deluge...torrential rains as we boarded our buses.  Once on the buses, however, the rains subsided and we were off to Baltimore for the Orioles game.  The title of today's blog is in honor of the game...

Belmonte Middle School Teacher, Patti Romano on the field representing our school.

Mrs. Romano being accosted by the Orioles Mascot...notice she's not wearing a Red Sox Hat.

Our seats...last row!!!

We owned Section 340 and much of 336 too.

John was busy all night delivering Soda, Water, and Lemonade.  He took orders and then delivered...nothing but the best for Belmonte Middle School.

Where we first met upon entering the Stadium.

I crept down for a closer look during the second inning.  

 The game was tied at the end of the 9th inning and we needed to return to our hotel.  By the time we got here, we had learned that the good guys from Boston has lost to the dreaded Os.  We still had a great time and while some of us are a little homesick, we are excited for our last day.  I am going to try to upload more photos to the Picasa Album for this trip at some point tomorrow.  The wifi connection is not stellar here and I apologize for that.  I am humbled by the many kind words that I've received the past few days.  I never thought that I'd have the readership numbers that I am seeing and I am very pleased.  I expect that this trip will put my little blog over 10,000 views and I am blown away by that...so Thank you!!!

Mr. Lavoie, currently in shock that it took me an hour to write tonight's blog...oh well, it was worth it.  




2 comments:

  1. I think I spoke to my son for a total of 3 minutes this week! He apparantly was too busy making memories and having fun. I am so grateful for this wonderful re-cap of daily activities. I chuckled and shed some tears as well. Thank you, Mr. Lavoie,for your time and effort - much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to blog, my grandaughter is a student and I have enjoyed reading about her memorable trip!

    ReplyDelete