Monday, June 10, 2013

A capital is more than just a big letter that starts a sentence.

Tomorrow morning, I will be heading to Washington, DC with students from the Belmonte Middle School.  I've got to admit, I am more than just excited for this trip.  While I don't really know the kids as well as some of my past journeys, I am excited to finally see my capital city.

I've been to 10 European capital cities.  A capital city is an important feature of one's national identity. It holds the history and culture of a people within its city limits.  You can get a real sense of a nation by walking its capital's streets.  London and Paris are very similar, in my mind, because of their size, their shared history of conflict, and the shear amount of cool sites one can experience.  Big Ben and the Eiffel Tower are iconic European structures, but it is easy to get lost in the depth of each city.  Madrid and Berlin are both modern cities.  They maintain a historic charm, but it is easy to get caught up in their hustle and bustle.  It is also amazing to see the modern world spring up among the avenues and boulevards of each capital.  In Budapest and Dublin, one can find examples of the violent histories shared by revolutionaries standing up to governments they did not agree with, all a midst a people who welcome you with open arms and a smile.  Brussels, Amsterdam, and Prague share that old world feel that truly makes you feel as if you've entered a different world, but each displays a sense of modernity as their cultures shift in this global age...and then there is Rome...as a capital city goes, there really is nothing that compares in history, culture, and the overall experience.

I've only been to DC once before.  It was for an awards ceremony for my brother.  He had helped save someone's life while in the line of duty and I cannot remember a time where I was more proud of him.  The ceremony took place in the heart of the city and while I was able to see many of the sites, my family only stayed for a day.  I remember my other brother and I splitting off from the rest of my family in the afternoon so that I might have a chance at seeing the Declaration of Independence.  It was an incredible feeling.  The signatures of so many men who put aside their differences, if only for a brief time, to share the possibility of an idea.  It gives me chills.  I am so excited to get back down there and see more of the city.

As a US history teacher for the past 13 years, people are typically stunned when I tell them I've only spent about four hours touring the city.  I am the guy who passes out pocket Constitutions to his students and carries one with me wherever I travel.  I've been teaching about the founding of our nation for almost as long as my travel companions have been alive.  I am in awe when looking at the itinerary.  We are doing so much in such a small amount of time.  I cannot even choose one place that I am most excited about...amazingly enough the Sox game is nearer the bottom of the list. (Don't get me wrong, I love the Sox...but I also love Fenway, lol)

With the places that I've seen and the capital cities that I've visited, I am glad that I am finally able to experience the District of Columbia.  I think there is definitely a Roman feel to Washington, although there is a wide variety of architectural designs in the city.  The design of our capital city was inspired by the capitals of Europe much like the design of our political structure was inspired by the different ideas of European political philosophers.  Like our population, DC is a composite of cultures and traditions.  While it never emerged as the economic center of our nation, Washington has born witness to the ideals of the American way.  There is a movie that I like to watch, it is called the Contender.  It's a political thriller and the cast is loaded with great actors and Christian Slater.  One of the characters, a nominee for the office of the Vice Presidency, refers to Washington DC as the chapel of Democracy.


Tomorrow, and over the next three days, I'll be walking the streets of America's capital.  I am not a religious person, but I am excited to go to the church that emancipated the slaves and gave women the right to vote.  I will never forget that feeling I had when I first saw the Declaration of Independence in the National Archives.  It was the feeling of my own country's contribution to this world.  I am fairly confident that I will be feeling that same sentiment several times over the next few days.  A capital is more than just a city...it is a reminder of who we were and a symbol of who we are...more than all that, it is a place that will shape who we will become.

For those new readers of "Where in the World is Mr. Lavoie?" I hope I didn't get too preachy.  I like writing and I hope you enjoy reading.  Hopefully, when you next read this blog, I will have included some links for pictures and other stuff.

Mr. Lavoie, currently in the middle of packing and saying the Pledge of Allegiance.  Okay, so I am not really saying the pledge, but I wrote that so the NSA leaves this blog alone!!!  

ps. The "who we were...and who we are" comments are inspired by Stephen Speilberg's Amistad. Another great political thriller...from 1840.
 

1 comment:

  1. Do you remember when we came upon one of the copies of the Magna Carta? That copy is the only copy owned by a private individual, thankfully it is on permanent loan for all to see.

    That day was fantastic. I hadn't been to DC until this past March when Jason, Ruth, and I attended the Cherry Blossom Festival. We ended up waking by the National Archives and instantly I recalled our excitement.

    I enjoy reading your blog even if I'm not reading it when you're actually traveling.

    Did you know that Indianapolis has more monuments than any other city in the nation, outside of DC?

    ReplyDelete