Monday, June 18, 2018

A Lesson on Humanity: History of the Holocaust 2020

Hello.  

Welcome to "Where in the World is Mr. Lavoie?"  This is a daily blog that I write while traveling the globe with Saugus Sachems.  I keep it current when we are abroad, but this is an informational page about my April 2020 trip to learn about the Holocaust.  This trip is open to all Saugus High School students who are in good standing and have a serious desire to learn about one of the most important topics in modern history.  

The gate to Auschwitz


My name is Rick Lavoie.  I am a history teacher at Saugus High School and I have led, or chaperoned, numerous student tours to Europe and beyond.  I firmly believe that #OneMustTravelToLearn.  The trips that I lead are to faraway places, but each teaches a valuable lesson.  The History of the Holocaust tour teaches lessons on empathy and compassion.  I've led this tour before and it was a life changing experience for all involved.

For those looking for a link to the tour, please click below:

https://www.eftours.com/2139315pu

For those debating student travel in general, please keep reading...

This trip was approved by the Saugus School Committee in June of 2018.  While the trip will take place over April vacation, it is also 13 days long.  Having the trip approved allows for students to be absent from school without it impacting their attendance.  Furthermore, the approval of the trip by our school committee means that all of our chaperons must be school employees and that school rules apply to students on this trip.  It is a safe and secure way to have your child see the world.  

The travel company I am using for this trip is EF.  They are the #1 company in student travel and they have offices all over the globe.  When we land in Europe, a Tour Director will meet us at the airport and guide us through all of our destinations.  This person is well trained and works diligently to make this experience a worthwhile one.  You will not need to worry about your child while they are on this tour; they will be in good hands.

One of the reasons I like EF is that their headquarters are located in Boston, Mass.  I've toured their facility and met many of the employees.  They are a great company and truly care for the student experience.  Some of our students have actually participated in focus groups...helping to make the tour experience even better for future travelers.  A company their size allows for all sorts of payment options.  They have a monthly payment plan and an online platform that is very user-friendly.  They also have an online donation link that you can share with family and friends...they can make secure payments to your balance, allowing your child to learn about this important topic with assistance from their loved ones.  

I traveled during my junior year of high school.  I was in France for three weeks. While this was over 20 years ago, it was also the start of something within myself that has never really left me.  I wouldn't say I was a serious student before I traveled, but I definitely think that my initial trip to Paris made me into who I am.  It certainly helped make me a more serious student, improving my grades and solidifying my love of history.  I've now been to over 30 countries and have plans for more.  

As much as I love traveling, I actually really enjoy showing the world to my students.  I am hopeful that many Saugus High School students will enroll on this trip and will learn a valuable lesson.  For more information please email me at rlavoie@saugus.k12.ma.us

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from your soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment